Happy Wednesday! This week we’re talking about what distracts us from writing. Oh boy.
So here are my top five distractions…
- Other work – This encompasses a couple things. One, work around the house. Cleaning, laundry, getting supper done, etc. I have this wonderful fantasy of being able to do it all…it has yet to be even close to reality. Guilt often has me doing this stuff rather than writing. Two, my other non-writing work. Now, I work from home so I pretty much set my own schedule, which is great. BUT, I will often put aside writing and put all my attention on the non-writing projects because other people are counting on me for those and I give them priority.
- Family – As awesome as they are and as much as I love them, they do distract. And it’s not only them talking to me, asking me things, what have you – though that definitely happens too – but since I don’t have an office/dedicated writing space, I’m often writing in the living room or at the kitchen table, so I’m right in the center of all the hustle and bustle. Distraction central.
- TV – Some of this can fall under family – especially when they decide to watch the latest episode of Supernatural, Doctor Who, The Walking Dead etc when I’m sat there trying to work – but I can’t put all the blame on them. It’s no secret, I have no willpower. I can own that. Watching one episode of something? Oh nay, nay, my friend. We are going to marathon watch that whole damned season! I’m weak.
- Tumblr – Or social media, in general, but I spend a lot of time playing on Tumblr. I tell myself when I take a break, I’ll go on for “just a few minutes” but then… Well, remember what I said about no willpower? That is true across the board. Come on, when Tumblr offers this.. I *WAS* going to put pictures of other cute guys, but then I had a revelation. I *think* like 90% of my tumblr/social media being a distraction is just being distracted by Colin Morgan. 😉
- My own brain – I don’t know if it counts as a “distraction” but I’m going with it. I psych myself out to the point I can’t work. I think about how much I have to do in x amount of time. Then, I figure out how many pages I have write a day and blah blah blah. What happens? I waste time freaking about writing and don’t get any writing done. I am a menace to myself. LOL
Go check out what’s distracting these ladies!
Until next week!