Happy Wednesday! This week, we welcome another author to the Wednesday Randomness. One of my all time favorite people… Kris Norris. I adore her and am so happy she’s jumping into this with us. Welcome, my dear!
When we decided to write on pet peeves this week, I was excited, thinking that I could knock this post out in no time. Wrong. I have stared at this blank page for longer than I care to share. But, without further ado, here is my attempt at listing my pet peeves.
1. Not following through – I think I’m pretty understanding. I get when life gets in the way and shit happens. Do I ever! But when it comes to people who promise and promise and never ever follow through on those promises? That burns my ass.
I’m not saying I don’t drop the ball sometimes. I totally do. I’ve gotten bogged down and been late on things more times than I care to remember. Or something has happened and I can’t do what I thought I could. BUT, I own it, I think. I explain and apologize and do what I can to make up for it (if it’s possible.) But what I’m talking about, what really pisses me off, is when this is the norm and the person doesn’t even seem to think there is a problem. There is no apologies, no acknowledgement that maybe their lack of following through has just fudged up my plans. 🙁
2. Self entitled people – News flash: The world doesn’t owe you anything, it’s not always someone else’s fault, the world doesn’t revolve around you.
This is a big one for me, because I just want to scream at people to grow the frick up and OWN their lives – the good, the bad, and all the freaking messed up shit. While how we grow up and who is in our lives definitely influence our decisions, placing the blame on those things for everything that goes wrong in our lives…it gets old.
And the thought that somehow you deserve more or better that the rest of us? Well, I’m not going to start ranting on that one because I wouldn’t get anything else done today. (And of course, I’m using “you” to generally address people who operate under these beliefs – not addressing anyone reading this blog specifically!)
3. Being unclear about expectations – It drives me up the wall when expectations aren’t clear. When suddenly I’m bearing the brunt of someone’s annoyance or anger because I didn’t do something “right”. If you want me to do something, and you want it done in a specific way, please, please, PLEASE tell me that upfront, for the love all things glorious!
4. Hypocrisy – This can come in many forms. Many, many forms. One I’ve come across recently that just makes me…not so much angry, but really, really sad…is I’ve heard people talk about someone who is going through a rough time. This person isn’t a nice person. He’s actually a pretty cruel, hateful person, truth be told. But when people I know found out about the horrible stuff happening in this person’s life, they went off on hate-filled rants about how this person deserved it and they hope he suffered, and so on. Now, don’t get me wrong, I will admit to having a thought or two about Karma and it biting someone in the ass. I did. BUT answering hate with hate? When has that ever turned out well?
I’m by no means perfect, and I’ve been guilty of pretty much everything on the above list at one point in my life. I just hope I recognize it when it happens and do a one-eighty, yeah?
So those were biggies. There are other, more minor, things that drive me batty. These are pretty self explanatory.
1. People who don’t use their blinker when changing lanes or turning.
2. Chewing with mouth open.
3. Not separating laundry the right way (ie. my way)
4. Using the last of the toilet paper and not replacing the roll.
5. Asking questions during movies/tv shows (“Who’s that?” “Why she do that?” “Is he going to die?” Just shut up and watch!)
6. Double negatives.
7. Guys who say they are “babysitting” their own kids.
8. Not using a bath mat when taking a shower or bothering to wipe up the flood of water left behind, resulting in my socks getting soaked when I go to take my morning pee.
9. Leaving hair in the sink after shaving or trimming bangs or whatever.
10. Swearing in public – Note: I can curse up a blue streak and drop f-bombs like nobody’s business, but I try so hard to be aware of my surroundings. When I’m out with my kids – especially when they were little-little – it would drive me up the wall when people would swear wily-nily around them. Because I don’t want to have to explain why my cute little four year old just casually called her grandma a bitch, thank you very much.
I’m going to end there, because now that I’ve started, I could just keep on going. But I won’t.
So what are your pet peeves? Comment away, friends!
What drives the other girls up the wall? Go forth and find out!
Kellie St. James
Until next week!