Hello, #MerlinClub friends! Let’s face it – my time management skills leave much to be desired on a good day (working on that!). Add in the hubby on a work trip out of the country for the week, and they disappear altogether. As a result, I find myself late Thursday evening putting this post together so it goes up in the morning. So, going short and sweet this week for 2 of my fave episodes.
Highlights from these episodes:
- Opens with one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.
- Morgana and Helios attack
- Greasy Aggravaine’s true colors are revealed
- Simpleton!Arthur thanks to Merlin’s enchantment
- The return of Gwen, who’s been in Ealdor since we last saw her
- Odd sexual tension between Morgana and Gwaine as he is forced to fight for food for himself, Elyan and Gaius who are imprisoned. Screams for some fanfic…just saying.
- Greasy Agravaine meets his ends…FINALLY…courtesy of BAMF!Merlin (one of my favorite Merlins 😉 )
- Encouraging!Merlin & Insecure!Arthur…
- Illuminated by the firelight Merlin
- Arthur pulling the sword from the stone
- Dragoon the Great makes and appearance
- Camelot is won back
- Arthur and Gwen reunite, get married and Gwen is crowned queen
- Morgana seems to be severely wounded, but then…but THEN, Aithusa (cute white dragon, remember?) comes along, breathes on her, and heals her.
If I’d written this episode, I would have changed…Eh, I don’t know that I’d necessarily change anything. I wouldn’t have Tristan and Isolde be the smugglers (talk a bit about that in the things I hated section). And…well, this is true for this whole freaking season…Greasy Agravaine is gone, dead, departed from this world, and STILL we have no explanation on why he aligned himself with Morgana. I get his anger and hatred of Uther. But Morgana is just as much Uther’s child as Arthur is, yeah? So why did he go after Arthur? Why did he choose Morgana? I don’t get it. And that is a huge hole the writers failed to fill in.
Thing(s) I loved about this episode—
- Clearly, loved Merlin because hello, it’s me.
- GREASY AGRAVAINE IS DEAD!!!
- This scene…
Thing(s) I hated about this episode—Greasy Agravaine…but HUZZAH! We never have to see his face again!
My feelings about Tristan and Isolde aren’t as stong as others, but I agree that the short time they were around wasn’t enough for the audience to feel any connection to them – which makes Isolde’s death less meaningful, IMO. Also, I don’t like that they were named Tristan and Isolde. It didn’t make sense to me. It was like the writers were just like…”What other medival romance characters can we throw in here, even though they has no connection to the story we’re telling, not really. People will recognized the names, so that’s cool.” But whatever…Isolde is dead and we never see Tristan again.
Also…Aithusa saving Morgana. WHERE THE HELL IS KILGARRAH, AND WHY ISN’T HE KEEPING AN EYE ON YOUNG AITHUSA AS HE PROMISED MERLIN HE WOULD???
Something I never noticed about this episode before—Got nothing here this week.
Proof of some head canon I’ve created—Please, Merthur all over the freaking place in this episode. And does it look like this is the first time Arthur’s ever used this move…
…yeah, I think not.
Favorite costume—Merlin disguised as one of Helios’ men after enchanting/binding Morgana’s magic as Dragoon.
What would Bron steal from
Camelot the forest in this episode? She would totally want the sword in the stone as the centerpiece of her garden.
What made Jen lose her shit (in a good or bad way) in this episode? The Tristan and Isolde part of the story.
Next week 1/26 at 8pm EST, we’ll be watching S05E01 & 02 “Arthur’s Bane”. NOTE: This is a 2-PART episode. We’ll start Part One at 8pm EST, take a short break then start Part Two at 9pm EST. We’ll be on Twitter with the hastag #MerlinClub